Friday 27 September 2013

The Sin of Ingratitude.

I am blessed. I know I am. But you know how sometimes, we, as flawed creations, tend to not remember to be thankful for the blessings we received. Hmm, I would say that we often take things for granted? I am of no exception. People tell me that I am ungrateful, yes I admit I am. I guess sometimes (well, most of the time) I forget to be thankful for all that I have. People tend to want more, more and MORE of everything. Minimal is never enough and so does the maximum. Bigger cars, more money in the banks, bigger investments, better designer outfits. We tend to seek and crave for more. The more, the better? Men are selfish. What do you expect? Humanity has had a materialistic, selfish, 'me-first' existence. Many a times, we take things for granted, that things and people will always be there. How can we be sure that the ones we treasure and love will still be there tomorrow? What if there is never going to be a tomorrow?   

Few days ago, I was complaining about being lonely and having no one to talk to, but when I look back, I have people that love me. I have my family, friends, relatives, these are the folks that I have but why do I still feel the need for more companions? Yes, I take my parents for granted, my siblings who were always there to annoy me, and my friends who are there to accompany me and put up to my bad mood-swings and whimpers but I never seem to thank them for that. Was I really that selfish? 

Maybe there is no such thing as unhappiness. Maybe unhappiness is derived from being ungrateful. Maybe there are no maybes. It's the universal truth! Unhappy people are often the ungrateful ones. And I am ashamed for having to say that I am included in one of those people in the ungrateful category. Quoting 1 John 2:16, he said that "For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world." 

I am not saying that I am going to INSTANTLY change into a new leave and start being that angel and not whine about anything and just be happy with whatever I have. No, of course it's not going to be easy. In fact, it's gonna be one hell of a task and strength. Everyday in our life, we have to deal with temptations of all kinds, and it is not easy to just be contented and happy with everything that you have when you are being surrounded by the everyday's temptation of the world. However, what I am trying to say is that I am going to do my utmost best to remind myself EVERYDAY to be thankful for the little things in life, for the people around me, for the food and shelter and clothes. In fact, I might even start being grateful for the uphill battles in life. And for the people that have problems with me. And for the ones that misunderstood me. And for the scorching weather in Malaysia. And the people that agitates me, and the barbaric rampant bikers, and that anne there who never did like taking food orders from me, and uncivilized tenants who literally throw their rubbish from a higher floor to ground floor. Thank you because you people gave me free anger management classes everyday. 

Today, I am grateful for the people I call FRIENDS. For the ones that stick with me through thick and thin. For the ones who had to put up with my atrocious mood swings and temper. For the ones who put up with all my nonsensical and senseless grunts and bawls. The ones who believed in me when no one else did. The ones who have seen me in my most fragile and ugly moments. And most of all I am thankful for the ones who stayed. 

Thank you. :)

"In everything give thanks"

No comments:

Post a Comment